National Monuments

Drishane Castle

The lovely Castle and grounds of Drishane have been the focal point of local history and folklore since pre-Christian times. The castle, built by the McCArthy Clan between 1436 and 1450, is seated on a limestone rock on the southern bank of the river Finnow. A prominent and important feature of the castle is the tower, commanding a beautiful view of the chain of mountains which, commencing with Claragh, run 30km in an uninterrupted line to Killarney. In 1909, the Sisters of Infant Jesus operated a very successful boarding school for girls until its closure in 1992.

  • Drishane Castle – Millstreet
  • Dromagh Castle
  • Kanturk Castle
  • Mallow Castle
  • Conna Castle
  • Glanworth Castle
  • Liscarroll Castle
  • Tullylease Church
  • Ballybeg Augustinian Friary – Buttevant
  • Buttevant Franciscan Abbey


National Monuments